Saturday, May 19, 2012

Thing 23: Final Reflection

Completing the 23Things project has definitely helped me become more familiar with technology tools that I can use in both my personal life and my career as a library media specialist / TIS.  I had heard of most of the tools in the project, but I hadn't actually used many of them before.  Some, like RSS feed readers, I just hadn't had a chance to explore.  Others, like Twitter, I just wasn't interested in using.  Now that I have had the chance to learn a bit more about them, I understand their value.  

Getting to explore and experiment with the 23Things in a casual way made the experience more enjoyable.  I appreciated the opportunity to learn something new without having to turn each tool or concept into a lengthy project.  When I've had to do that in the past, it sometimes makes me not want to use the tool anymore. 

Having completed the 23Things, I do have a better understanding of NETS-T.  The tools and concepts explored were not simply the basics that all teachers should know; they will help facilitate creativity, collaboration, communication, and professional growth. Many times, I didn't initially see the connection between the tool and teaching.  After exploring, however, it became evident.   I didn't think I'd use Twitter, Skype, or QR codes as part of my job, but I've come to discover that they do have value.  I was actually surprised to see the number of Twitter users who are using this platform for professional growth and to set up worldwide professional learning communities.  Just a few quick searches on Twitter of keywords important to my job revealed dozens on sites and tools I wasn't aware of.  I like this, too.  It's fast and easy, and I can be in charge of my own learning and professional development.  I found many ideas on Twitter in just minutes that are more useful than some two- or three-hour-long CE sessions I've attended.   Also, many of the tools presented in the project pushed me to be more creative in designing and implementing lessons.  I never would have thought of using QR codes with students, but I can see how students would like this and respond to it well. 

The 23Things concept would be nice to use with teachers and students.  I would love for teachers in my school to be able to participate in a project like this as part of their required CE or PLC hours.  Sadly, that's the only way some would ever commit to a project like this, but it's just so valuable.  I've learned so much more from doing this on my own than I have in lengthy CE sessions that focus only one one concept or tool.  It would be a nice semester project for students, too.  The wouldn't necessarily have to explore tech tools--at least not for all 23 things.  They could explore concepts instead.  Plus, the number might have to be modified for students on a block schedule.  I can't see assigning more than one "thing" each week for an independent project like this.  Perhaps fifteen "thing" would be the limit. 

Now that I'm finished with the project, I'm looking forward to exploring many of the ideas and tools more in depth over the summer and figuring out the best ways to use them to help students, teachers, and even myself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment