Saturday, May 19, 2012

Thing 17: Twitter in the Classroom

I'm surprised by how many people are using Twitter in the classroom.  I never really considered this as an option for an educational tool, given that we don't have computers in the classrooms, and students aren't supposed to use their phones at school because teachers would be encouraging the use of an unfiltered network. 

Anyway, this helpful list of 60 ways to use Twitter in the Classroom was posted by @pickover: http://www.onlineuniversities.com/blog/2011/12/60-inspiring-examples-of-twitter-in-the-classroom/

After reading through the list, I'm thinking it would be nice to have twelfth grade civics students follow the 2012 election and certain candidates.  Not only is this a highly-engaging way to help students gain a better understanding of and perspective on current events and government, but it might also encourage them to be active, informed voters in the upcoming election (many are old enough to vote).

This would also be a great way to analyze rhetorical devices, logical fallacies, and propaganda techniques. 

No comments:

Post a Comment